Ian grew up in Denver, Colorado. He received his Bachelor of Arts with honors in Sociology and History from Dartmouth College in 2010. Ian obtained his Juris Doctorate from the University of Arizona’s James E. Rogers College of Law in 2014. He focused on water policy in the American west and served as an Associate Editor for Arizona Journal of Environmental Law and Policy.
Following law school, Ian worked for Cazier & McGowan in Granby, Colorado. The majority of his work involved water right dispute and determination in the Upper Colorado River drainage basin. In addition to representing several rocky mountain municipal organizations along with a variety of private land owners in the water law arena, he also represented clients in fields such as estate planning, probate administration, tenant and landlord dispute, property transaction, zoning and land use regulation.
In January of 2017, Ian founded Ferrell Law, LLC, where he currently works as sole-proprietor. Since founding his firm, he has represented clients on matters including water right dispute and determination, quiet title dispute resolution, private and public nuisance litigation, municipality law, oil and gas litigation, real estate transaction, eminent domain and condemnation litigation, and employment litigation.
Ian became Of Counsel to The Rodman Law Group in March of 2019. He hopes his unique legal knowledge and experience will serve to enhance the already unparalleled, custom tailored legal representation the Firm provides to our clients. When he is not at work, Ian enjoys skiing and fly fishing in the Rocky Mountains along with coaching his City Lax youth lacrosse team.
- Member, Colorado State Bar
- Colorado Bar Association
- Agricultural & Rural Law Section
- Environmental Law Section
- Government Counsel Section
- Natural Resources & Energy Law Section
- Real Estate Law Section
- Solo/Small Firm Practice Section
- Water Law Section
- Denver Bar Association
- Juris Doctorate – University of Arizona’s James E. Rogers College of Law 2014.
- Bachelor of Arts – Dartmouth College 2010
- “Colorado H.B. 14-1026—Model Legislation or a Trojan Horse?” 4 Ariz. J. Envtl. L. & Pol’y 1039 (2014), available here.
- Owner – Ferrell Law, LLC
- Analyst – Ferrell, LLC
- Associate – Cazier & McGowan Law Firm
- Member of the Board of Directors – Colorado Headwaters Land Trust